05 March 2009

OGLE

I think the reason the 36 hour ride bicyclists on the Mall are there is because they have a yen to be ogled in their tight, little bike outfits.

DEF:
v. tr.
  1. To stare at.
  2. To stare at impertinently, flirtatiously, or amorously.
v. intr.
To stare in an impertinent, flirtatious, or amorous manner.
n. An impertinent, flirtatious, or amorous stare.

[Perhaps from Low German oghelen, oegeln, frequentative of oegen, to eye, from oghe, oge, eye; see okw- in Indo-European roots.]
o'gler n.

Bonus definition:
Yen-n. A strong desire or inclination; a yearning or craving.
intr.v. yenned, yen·ning, yens
To have a strong desire or inclination; yearn.

[Chinese (Cantonese) uên, hope, wish, equivalent to Chinese (Mandarin) yuàn.]

For two days now I have ridden my bicycle through the Mall on campus and seen these super-fit guys riding their cycles with their back wheels in the stand that allows them to do a stationary ride trying to figure out what they are doing there and, of course, noticing their fitness. This morning noticing that I was noticing their fitness, I figured that they should be my inspiration for the word of the day? week?

No comments: